The Organic Centre was established in 1995 as a non profit making company with charitable status (CHY 11547). The Centre is located on a 19 acres site in Rossinver, Co. Leitrim. It operates from an ecologically designed building with a grass roof which wonthe An Taisce award for “most appropriate building located in the countryside”.
Recent awards include.
The County Enterprise Award 2011 for “Contribution to the Community”.
The Bord Bia National Food Award 2011 “Highly Commended Organic Tomatoes”
The Euro-Toques Award 2012 “For outstanding contribution to Irish Food through training and education”.
The Bridgestone and McKennas “Best in Ireland” award for many years and are now a “Discover Primary Science and Maths” centre.
What we Do
The aim of the Centre is to provide training and education. We provide information and demonstration of organic gardening, growing and sustainable living. Each year since 1995 has seen significant development and currently we have :
- 2 demonstration gardens – the kitchen garden and the Robin’s garden -show a productive small scale family garden and a community garden run by a group of 21 local people.
- A range of 9 polytunnels of various sizes showing protected cropping on a domestic and commercial scale.
- A wetland sewage disposal system, which was featured on Eco Eye.
- A new compost display area, showing different methods of composting and recycling.
- A willow sculpture area growing every year with new features.
- An orchard with 50 varieties of apples suited to the Irish climate and a soft fruit area, testing hardy varieties.
- A native woodland planted in Winter 2004 under the Neighbourwood scheme.
At present the Centre provides over 100 short courses ranging from gardening, food production and healthy cooking to crafts and renewable energy. Participants come from all over Ireland and some from abroad. Our major events throughout the year are our Annual Potato Day , The Garden Party and our Harvest Festival and Apple Day .
Our Eco Shop stocks garden organic seeds, tools, books, herb plants, seasonal vegetables and a range of organic and fair trade wholefoods.